latching _syncing movie file inputs.

ABOUT FRAGMENT:FLOW Forums Fragment:Flow Fragment:Flow – Feature Requests latching _syncing movie file inputs.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    xpez
    Participant

Not sure if this is already implemented and I just havent found it but one thing that automatically comes to mind as a cool feature is syncing video. I am someone who is more interested as using this as a post fx tool to use as a render as another layer in a composited After Effects project.

Controlling the – sync / start of all video inputs (mov files) and a start frame number would be great because because I am using the same video in every input source. And so using an alpha that is synced with the Input A / input B would be very helpful. then controlling the frame offset with manual numerical input would be very precise. Right now I am just eyeballing how they line up timing wise.

rhizome78
    Keymaster

Hi Jay – first of all, sincere thanks for picking up a copy – I really appreciate the support.

It’s pretty rudimentary at the moment and you may only be referring to the dedicated alpha channels, but you can already start both videos in slots A+B simultaneously (thereby syncing them assuming the same source length, play-back speed and that you don’t manually jump to a new point in either video). It’s not particularly obvious, but there’s a small yellow icon in the video A section which will trigger/restart both simultaneously. I often use this in a similar way to the one that you describe (different effects over the same source). You can also use slot A as an alpha channel by selecting the “alpha_blend” mode (in which case B becomes the background), which may provide a partial way of doing what you want with synced alpha content in some circumstances.

It doesn’t trigger videos in the dedicated alpha slots at present though (I tend to use that for simple image overlays or animated gifs), but that shouldn’t be difficult to add. I agree that a more sophisticated set of options in this regard would be great, including a “global” start frame setting. It’s a great suggestion, so I’ll have a think about the best way of achieving it and work towards including it in a future update.

Best wishes

Paul

rhizome78
    Keymaster

Just out of interest Jay, how do you find the performance when using video in every slot? I think that one of the reasons that I downplayed the alpha slots for video use and limited the features in this regard was that I was worried about tempting users to push it too far given all of the other demands (especially on less powerful systems). There’s also less RAM allocated to video playback on the alpha slots at present.

xpez
    Participant

Hi Paul, I have been on a marathon since I am not working and just fiddling with this tool for hours and hours. LOL.. I finally discovered the global start function which is great. Right now I am experimenting with offsetting the time by a few frames on everything so its like an inbuilt echo effect. being able to roll a frame count offset from the sync frame would be nice feature. I thought I would throw in the video in the alpha as well..its all running fine. I have a dual 18-core with 192 gigs of ram with 2 x 1080 cards. and I am getting a avg 59 frames per second playback. with everything and even pulling from different USB drives!! I do occasionally get a little frame hiccup. One thing I noticed that I don’t understand is the screen setup. I have a 2 4k monitors and when I set the full screen with no border only the 1440p fills the frame not next size up – 4k setting, I would think the 4k would be appropriate but its over-sizes onto the the second monitor. Which I haven’t figured out its like doubling the pixels or something. I will keep fiddling with it. I think my next step will figure out how to get more ISF filters downloaded and running. thanks for the reply. For some reason this has got my wheels turning in a more creative exploration state of mind than just making stuff for work. Which is great!!

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by xpez.
    rhizome78
    Keymaster

Hi Jay,

“I have a dual 18-core with 192 gigs of ram with 2 x 1080 cards” Jesus, you should be fine then! 🙂 Glad that you’re feeling inspired.

When you use the ESC key to enter full-screen it should fill the screen that the window is currently in. The texture resolution is decoupled from window-size and is set in the Texture Dimensions setting under the Display tab (the image export size is also tied to this setting, so you can output massive hi-res images without a similarly massive display window). The behaviour that you’re seeing when you select a window size and part of it is cut-off is probably down to your Windows scaling %. If you right-click on the desktop, go to “Scale and Layout” and set it to 100% scaling it should behave as expected in terms of window size (you can then use the built-in zoom feature to resize the GUI to make it more comfortable). Let me know if that isn’t it.

Best Wishes

Paul

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.